Safety on the water
General safety issues
The best site I've found that discusses safety is https://www.boatsafe.com. Before you do anything else, go there, bookmark the page and start reading.
Follow vessel traffic via AIS
Rotate your iPhone for better results.
Know the Regs (colregs)Here's a great link that has the complete description of the colregs. These are the International Regulations for Avoiding Collisions at Sea.
Things to practice /
what I teach
- Crew Overboard/Safety Equipment
- Motoring/docking in tight quarters
- Basic sailing and boat handling
- Anchoring techniques
- Rules of the Road and terminology
- Basic knots (e.g., cleat hitch, bowline)